Home Education and Private Tutoring in Big Spring School District
HOW TO ENROLL
If a family chooses to home school, the family must submit the following to the Superintendent:
- Letter to the Superintendent requesting Home Schooling
- Affidavit (notarized) – indicating age of child at the time of the affidavit completion
- List of Objectives being taught for each Subject
- Copy of High School Diploma or GED for the Home School Supervisor
- Immunization record/medical exemption letter
- Proof of Residency
The student must be instructed/supervised through a properly qualified tutor or through a parent or legal guardian with a high school diploma or GED.
- August 1st All applications and affidavits relative to home schooling must be received by the District on or before August 1st for the upcoming school year.
- Ongoing For individuals new to Home School the affidavit must be submitted to the Superintendent prior to the implementation of a home schooling program. The Superintendent gives home schooling approval in writing.
- June 30th All home schooled students must submit a Home Education Evaluation Form – completed by an approved Evaluator.
ADDITIONAL RESOURCES & INFORMATION
- Big Spring School District Home Education Guide (pdf)
- Approved Home Education Evaluators and Organizations (pdf)
- Sample Secondary Affidavit (pdf from PA Dept of Education)
- Sample Elementary Affidavit (pdf from PA Dept of Education)
- Guidance from the PA Department of Education (link to PDE Home Education Page)
- Communication to Home Education Families Regarding COVID-19 (May 11, 2020- pdf)