Parents and community members are encouraged to participate in the education of our children by sharing their time and talents in the classroom. It is a proven fact that volunteering greatly benefits our children and your presence at school sends a message that you care about education.
Effective April 15, 2014, anyone who is a chaperone for a field trip, volunteer tutor, book fair worker, PTO officer, or office assistant will need background checks. See our 2019-20 Volunteer Handbook for the basic guidelines and information which you will need to know when volunteering. Please read the information carefully and then sign, date and return the last page to the school where you will be volunteering.
There are a number of types of volunteers. For details, please review Policy 916, Volunteers. The Administration reserves the right to categorize volunteers on a case-by-case basis. All types require a TB test while some types depending on the level of supervision, require clearances.
For those who need to obtain these clearances:
- Pennsylvania State Police Request for Criminal Record Check. This may be completed online and there is no fee for Volunteer version. Instructions are available.
- Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance. This may be completed online also and there is no fee for the Volunteer version. Instructions are available.
- Volunteer Exemption Form may be submitted in lieu of the FBI / Federal Criminal Clearance History clearance if applies. (Volunteer must be a PA resident for the past 10 years consecutively with no criminal record to report)
NEW Volunteers must submit the following:
Handbook Signature Page
Act 34 Copy
Act 151 Copy
Volunteer Verification Form (ACT 114 Clearance only needed for those who have not lived in PA for past 10 years)
TB Test Results (must be current as of 7/1/19)
Returning Volunteers must renewal with BSSD each new school year but submitting the following:
Handbook Signature Page
Volunteer Renewal Affidavit (completed with Notary)
Additional Reminders for Volunteers:
- When you receive your clearances and complete the required forms - please submit entire packet to the school office.
- CLEARANCE ORIGINALS - Please keep the original clearances for other future institutions - submit copies only. Copies will not be returned.
- TB TEST - The BSHS Nurse offers the TB test "at cost" ($8), if interested please make an appointment by calling 717-776-2450.
- RENEWALS - The renewal process requires notary services. This is offered for FREE in the BSSD District Administration Office by appointment only (hours are 7am-3:00pm and by extended appointment upon request), please call 717-776-2418 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also obtain notary services elsewhere at your convenience.
Notary Services and Personnel will be available at the following annual events. Please bring your Drivers' License to complete renewal process. All form copies will be provided for your convenience:
Newville Elementary Open House
Oak Flat Elementary Open House
Mount Rock Elementary Grades 1-5 Back to School Night