Honoring Children's Grief Awareness Day
We honored Children’s Grief Awareness Day on Thursday November 16th. Children's Grief Awareness Day is designed to help us all become more aware of the needs of grieving children — and of the benefits they obtain through the support of others. Children's Grief Awareness Day is an opportunity to make sure that grieving children receive the support they need.
- In MEMORY of loved ones who have died
- In HONOR of a child or adult who is grieving
- In SUPPORT of grieving children, adults, and families everywhere
During this day students can choose to write the name of a loved one or a message of hope on a butterfly that we will display in the school. Livestream and Cyber students are able to create a virtual butterfly https://hope.highmarkcaringplace.com/. If they want to add a butterfly to our school display please contact the school's guidance counselor. We want you to be aware and sensitive to questions and feelings this event might raise in your child. We encourage you to talk to your child about any questions or concerns they may have.
Staff from the Highmark Caring Place, a Center for Grieving Children, Adolescents and Their Families, have partnered with Newville Elementary to assist in planning Children’s Grief Awareness Day. The Highmark Caring Place provides support groups for children and their families who have experienced the death of a loved one. The program is offered to grieving families at no cost and is supported by contributions from the community and Highmark Blue Shield.
The goals of the event and sharing information include:
- Helping children identify different feelings they have experienced.
- Helping children understand what grief is and what to do if they experience it.
- Helping children learn ways to support peers that are grieving.
- Helping children identify the supports they have at home, in school, and in their community.
- Helping children become aware of the supports the Highmark Caring Place has to offer and other local resources such as Drew’s Hope (located in Shippensburg). www.highmarkcaringplace.com
Thanks for your support!