Six houses, One family
Newville Elementary is excited to kick off a new initiative to bring a sense of “family” to our school. With the start of the school year, we are instituting a House System with goals of:
1. Creating a sense of belonging for all students and staff
2. Creating a system of student mentors
3. Building a culture of excitement about coming to school that does not supersede what it means to be a “Bulldog”, but only adds to that experience
Students and all staff have been randomly assigned to a House which they will remain in for their entire career at Newville.
Houses are broken down by colors, animals and have several different characteristics. Our houses are as follows:
House of Tenacity
House of Compassion
House of Friendship
House of Courage
House of Integrity
House of Imagination
Every early dismissal day we have this year (8 total), will be a House Activity Day. During these days, we will have team building activities, lessons tied to our Profile of a Graduate and other fun games. Some of these days we will have the whole House together (K-5) and other days we will divide into our K-2 and 3-5 Houses. Throughout the year, we will also have House activities which will include:
- House Color Days (students dress in their House color)
- Special House lunches.
- Random House Challenges
- Many other fun activities
Right now there seems to be a lot of energy around our Houses and the kiddos seem to be excited! I hope that you have heard about our Houses, but if you didn’t, check in with your kiddo(s) to see what House he/she is in.
We are enthusiastic to begin this endeavor!